Polaris Health Directions
SPR is pleased to inform its members of the availability of a perpetual, no cost license for use of Polaris-MH, a computer-based mental health outcomes assessment and management system. Polaris-MH is grounded in the Dose Response and Phase Models of psychotherapy established by SPR founder Ken Howard and his colleagues. Ken was actively involved in its development during the last decade of his life, and specifically requested that the completed system be made available to SPR members.
Polaris-MH is designed to help plan, manage, and improve adult outpatient mental health treatment. Patients respond to multiple choice questions upon admission, and at clinician-specified intervals during treatment, using the PC numeric keys. A detailed report is immediately printed for clinical use. Case mix adjustment of aggregate data enables researchers to control for numerous patient characteristics during analyses of patient satisfaction and clinical outcome data. See www.polarishealth.com for additional information.
Polaris–MH is appropriate for assessment of patients presenting with conditions including: acute or episodic depression, generalized anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, somatization, panic and phobia disorders. Key features of the system include:
- National Institute of Health (NIH) reviewed and funded
- Exceptional scientific foundation and psychometric properties, documented in JPR
- Based upon the landmark research of Dr. Ken Howard and his colleagues
- Fully automated, HIPAA compliant
- Clinically actionable, real-time reports
- Software features make system easy to implement and manage
- Provides data quality indicators
- Allows for severity (case mix) adjusted comparisons to other programs
- Assesses patient symptoms, functioning, subjective well being
- Assesses therapeutic bond and treatment satisfaction
- Assesses patient strengths
- Screens for chemical dependency and psychosis
- Concurrently monitors treatment progress
- Includes items relating to medication management
- Easily integrated into office and clinical procedures
- Useful for counselor training and supervision
- Well accepted by patients
- Non-specific: appropriate to all “schools”/models of therapy
- Average time to complete less than 15 minutes
- Provides for clinician ratings of patient clinical status and prognosis
- Abbreviated version of update
- 733 MHz processor
- 128 MB of RAM
- Windows 2000 or XP
Polaris-MH is owned by Polaris Health Directions. Polaris will provide the system software and license to SPR members upon receipt of a signed agreement which includes the following terms:
- The software will be used only by the SPR member, who will not copy or otherwise distribute it to any third party without Polaris consent.
- De-identified response data (not traceable to an individual patient) will be sent to Polaris quarterly, using an export feature in the software.
- Use of Polaris-MH will be acknowledged on all publications reporting Polaris-MH data.
Contact Dr. Sherrill Lord at Polaris (, or (267) 583-6336 ext. 24) if you would like additional information, or a copy of the agreement.